Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Mostly Homemade Chicken Pot Pie

Growing up, I used to love the freezer chicken pot pies. On a cold, wet day, they were the perfect comfort food. As an adult, and especially as one who tries to pay attention to what I eat, I've avoided pot pies altogether. Between the fat and the sodium, I haven't even wanted to try.

But, with the Polar Vortex descending, I found myself craving crusty, gooey, chicken and veggies. So, I ran around the internet a bit, but never quite found something that was perfect. The recipe below borrows a bit from a couple of easily accessed recipes, but I mostly just threw stuff into the pot.


Mostly Homemade Chicken Pot Pie

Ingredients:

  • 1 Tube low-fat crescent rolls (or biscuits of your choice)
  • 1.5 cups chicken broth
  • 3/4 cups chopped onions (or a sprinkle of dehydrated onions, if you hate onions like I do)
  • 1 cup potato, chopped
  • 1 cup carrots, chopped
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 1 large chicken breast, cut into pieces
  • 3/4 cup reduced fat milk
  • 1/4 cup AP flour
  • 1 teaspoon thyme
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. In a large pan, bring broth to a boil
  3. Stir in all vegetables except peas, return to a boil, then let simmer for 5-6 minutes
  4. Add chicken and frozen peas, return to boil, then let simmer for 5 minutes
  5. In a separate bowl, slowly whisk milk into flour until well blended
  6. Add flour mixture into chicken mixture and stir well. Turn heat to medium and allow to thicken, approximately 5 minutes
  7. Add thyme, salt, and pepper, mix well. 
  8. Coat individual ramekins (or a larger dish, your choice!) with PAM or another non-stick spray
  9. Lay one biscuit into the bottom of the ramekin, and pour 1/4 of chicken mixture over biscuit. Layer additional biscuit over top of chicken mixture. Repeat for remaining ramekins. 
  10. Place all ramekins on a baking sheet and slide into oven for 14 minutes, or until biscuit on top is golden brown. 
Om nom nom. This was really great, and we actually fought over the leftovers. I may decide to forgo the bottom biscuit in future. While tasty, I'm not sure it outweighed the added calories. Otherwise, this was very yummy.

Oh, and as always use caution when opening canned biscuits. I was chatting with a friend while I made these, and he sent me this:


True life, people. I get tense just watching this.

No comments:

Post a Comment