Thursday, July 25, 2013

It's Not Just For Loaf Pans: Meatloaf Cupcakes

One of Mr. C's most requested meals is meatloaf cupcakes. It is a twist on the old standby that I stole from one of my favorite food blogs, Iowa Girl Eats. The big secret here? Meatloaf doesn't have to be cooked in a loaf pan. In fact, it doesn't technically have to be in any sort of shaping container at all.

Case in point, for Halloween last year, I made Mr. C a themed dinner; steamed swamp trees, mashed rat brains, and a baked werewolf paw. He didn't think my idea was nearly as adorable as I thought it was, but he did think it tasted delicious. The werewolf by was the meatloaf, with some onion pieces stuck in for decoration and a slice of cheese on top for effect.

Halloween '12: I made two of the paws, and they took us about three days to eat!
So, I guess you could say it has been awhile since I've felt confined by the traditional bounds of a loaf pan when it comes to my meatloaf. I've also significantly tweaked the meatloaf recipe, at least compared to how my mom used to make it!

For Meatloaf Cupcakes: 
1 pound Ground turkey (I used 97/3 this time)
1 shredded medium zucchini, drained
1 handful shredded baby carrots, drained
2 tablespoons minced onion
1/2 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
1 tablespoons worchestershire sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
Whatever seasonings you like. I normally dash in garlic, some italian herbs, or whatever else I have handy.
Dollop of ketchup and worchestershire sauce for topping

For Creamy Mashed Potatoes: 
1 pound potatoes (I normally use red or yellow, although my rat brains were purple!)
3 tablespoons greek yogurt
3 tablespoons broth
2 tablespoons skim milk
1 tablespoon butter
A dash garlic salt
A sprinkle of pepper
See all of those yummy carrot and zucchini chunks in there? Sneaky veggies!
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Combine all meatloaf ingredients and mix well. Scoop mixture into muffin tin*
3. Spread a dollop of ketchup/worchestershire sauce on top of the meatloaf
4. Bake for 22-24 minutes
5. Meanwhile, cut potatoes into equal pieces and place in pot of cold water
6. Bring pot to boil and cook until potatoes are tender
7. Drain potatoes and return to pot.
8. Add remaining mashed potato ingredients and mash to desired consistency.
9. Remove meatloaf cupcakes from pan and place on plate
10. Scoop generous spoonfull of mashed potatoes on top of the cupcake like "frosting"
11. Enjoy!
Unfortunately we ate all of the cupcakes before I got any completed pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment