Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Goal: 5k Color Run and a Disney 1/2 Marathon

Coming out of 5 years of chronic shoulder pain, I have some big goals. I've been lucky and still stayed moderately active over the last five years, although not nearly as much as when I was younger. I really want to get more involved with my physical fitness. Prior to my shoulder problem, I played volleyball, basketball, tennis, and biked. I can still do those things, but regret it quite a bit the next day. My hope is, as I recover from my surgery, I can start reintroducing some of these activities.

But, goals are all about having something concrete to achieve. So, here are my two big fitness related, post shoulder problem goals.

1. Run the Albany Color Me Rad 5k on September 21st, 2013
via Color Me Rad

2. Run one of the Disney half marathons, ideally the Wine and Dine in 2014

via RunDisney
Don't these both look like so much fun? I feel like, if I'm going to try to start running in races, they should at least be FUN ones! We have a family friend who has run several of the Disney half and whole marathons, and she has said they are by far her favorite races.

So, what am I doing to acheive this goal? Well, I did some research, downloaded some apps, all that jazz, but really I've started running. I'm currently on day 3 of the Couch to 5k program.

My biggest problem right now is that my lung capacity isn't great. My comfortable stride is pretty long, but my lungs can't keep up with that yet. I could run a full out 5k right now, but I'm hoping by going through the training program I'll give my lungs a chance to catch up and hopefully that will help me increase my speed a bit.

Mostly I'm running along the Mohawk Hudson Hike-Bike Trail, conveniently located near our apartment.
From the Friends of the MHHBT
Although this isn't a photo from the stretch I usually run, it is really that beautiful. The section I like to take goes past an old Erie Canal lock, and it is beautifully overgrown. It is also nicely paved, a few little hills but nothing bad, and generally very clean. Everything I read says when you're starting off to not go out too many days in a row, but it felt so great running the last two days, I want to go out again today!

No comments:

Post a Comment