Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Papa

On Tuesday, Mr. C's grandfather, aka Papa, passed away. He had been in poor health for a long time, and was undergoing radiation on his neck that made it very difficult for him to eat or speak. While we're both very sad, we're happy to know that he is no longer in pain.

Over Easter, the entirety of Mr. C's family was able to get together at Nana & Papa's house. Mr. C's Cousin Baseball, was throwing a surprise 60th birthday for Uncle Baseball in Ohio, where Cousin Baseball lives and works. That meant that Uncle Baseball, who lives in South Carolina, was able to reschedule the last half of his trip when we realized that Papa was really not doing well. We'd been planning on heading to Mr. C's parent's for Easter, but easily switched gears. It was really lovely getting to spend the entire weekend with Mr. C's extended family. We had our own mini Easter service in the living room, where one of Mr. C's younger cousins gave a sermon, and we all ate way too much ham.

I feel so lucky to have gotten to spend the time with Papa that I did. I don't have any grandparents left, so have really appreciated how lucky I was to come into a family with two. Papa & Nana embraced me with open arms, and made me feel like I was just another one of the grandkids, in the best way. I will always remember trying to sneak the good flavors of jelly beans out of the jar on Easter Sunday, and Papa waggling his finger at me with a smile. He loved his family, was devoted to his community, and will be sorely missed by us all.

Papa with his grandpuppy Bear in early April

No comments:

Post a Comment