Monday, May 26, 2014

Mirror Mirror

So, confession time. I try very hard to not be too "trendy". There is nothing wrong with chalkboards, mason jars, or striped straws, but they are just not for me. However, there is one trend I seem unable to avoid - mercury glass.

Oh, how I love it. It is elegant and pretty and can be formal or casual and is so gosh darn beautiful. Vases, jars, candleholders, you name it, I want it. But, even I know that moderation is necessary. So rather than cover every available surface in mercury glass (as much as I'd like to), I'm limiting myself to signage.

I put my dad's sisters on the task of finding old glass or mirrors.

Oh, and just for fun. Here's a list of other "trendy" things that I would love to do, but have said no to for various reasons (mostly cost and/or Mr. C's dislike of them)

  • Watercolor everything. Paper, dresses, table linens. I love it. If we redid the wedding in a more outdoor setting, I would go full-on watercolor for everything I could. 
  • Trees/birds. When we were first moving in together and working on selecting decor for the apartment, we quickly realized that if something was had birds and/or branches on it, I was going to love it. Especially if it was teal. While I am finding a way to sneak some branches in (you'll seeeeeeee!!) I did try to restrain myself. 
  • "Vintage". I have a hard time with this term, because it can really mean anything. Old looking, quirky, distressed, there are so many things that fit into the category. Other than my mercury glass, we're avoiding this. Mr. C's taste is much more elegant, so things looking ramshackle is not his favorite. 
What about you? Any trends you're incorporating? Which ones are you leaving out?

No comments:

Post a Comment