Wednesday, August 14, 2013

DIY: Necklace Holder

Ah, Pinterest. The source of so many projects that never leave the comfort of my excessively organized boards. Seriously guys, I have 126 boards to date, and I know that number will grow. Now, before you panic, let's look at cooking. I don't just have one "recipe" board. First, I've separated cooking and baking, because really they are two different things. Then, I've broken cooking down into categories.
Only some of my too many Pinterest boards
Here's a quick screen capture to give you an idea. Crazy, right? To be honest, I've been on leave from work for a month, so I've had some time on my hands. If I'm more honest, it was like this before I took the time off.

Anyway, back to the point. As much as I might pin WAY to many things, Pinterest is a great source of inspiration. I'm a visual thinker, so it really helps me to be able to see projects, instead of just making "to-do" lists that mostly get ignored. What I've done instead is create "to-do" boards focused around specific projects I want to complete. During my time off we've managed to crank out a couple, and I'll get to those, but today I wanted to show you my new necklace holder.

Inspiration struck with the following photo:

Via IHeart Organizing
 If you aren't familiar with the blog IHeart Organizing, I highly recommend you check it out. I've found some really interesting tips and tricks there! Although I actually have purchased the radiator grate, I decided my first priority was not my earrings by my necklaces. You see, all of my necklaces are currently hanging on an over-the-door rack that hangs on our closet door. Which would be fine if C didn't have to wake up an hour earlier than me. He tries to be sweet and shut the door so the closet light doesn't wake me up, but 3/4 of the time the noise of the necklaces bouncing on the door does.

So, back to the Pinterest board. Were there any good inspiration shots for necklace storage that was similar to the design above that I liked so much? Turns out, there were.

Via Crafty Clariangel
Via  Victoria Cassinova
Via Life Ann Style
Not only was the last one very close to what I was looking for, but it also came with instructions! The only real adaptation I made was to modify the colors and to add some knobs along the bottom. My bathroom has sort of a transferware theme to it, and so I've been trying to find some great blue and white accessories to add in.

Turns out I'm a bad blogger and didn't take photos throughout the process, but it was pretty easy.
1. Purchased supplies: frame (goodwill), white paint and sponge brushes (Michael's), blue and white knobs (Hobby Lobby), and white hooks (Kmart)
2. Painted frame white. It ended up with sort of a vintage-y look, which wasn't intentional but I think it worked pretty well.
3. Used C's drill to make holes for the knobs and hooks
4. Attached knobs and hooks
5. Realized the drill bit I used for the hooks was too big, so dug out some gorilla glue to make sure they stuck
6. Hung the whole thing on the bathroom wall, and added my necklaces.

Sorry for the poor quality, but here is the end result!

The whole corner, plus the shelves for my knickknacks. Note the goodwill candlestick bracelet/watch holders!

Voila! Not perfect, but for one of my first real "DIY" crafts, not too shabby! I have an oval frame that I'm planning to hang with ribbons across for clips and sunglasses, and I am also planning on converting my oatmeal container into a holder for my headbands, rather than using the towel rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment